ψαλμος τω δαυιδ / Psalmus David : Psalm 23(22)

Probably the most popular of all the psalms.  It was #22 in both the Vulgate and the Septuagint, but is known now as psalm 23.  The most famous line of all the psalms is the first verse:  The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want (KJV).

But guess what?  Neither the Latin (translated from the Hebrew) nor the Greek (which is what Jesus and the disciples knew and what is quoted in the New Testament, also from the Hebrew) say "the Lord is my shepherd!"  They actually say, the Lord shepherds (rules) me.  ποιμαινει is from this verb - it is not a noun.  Jerome transalted this as Dominus regit me - the Lord rules (regulates) me.  God rules/guides me, and (therefore) nothing will be lacking for me....et nihil mihi deerit / και ουδεν με υστερησει.

Some almost familiar vocabulary from verse 2:  τοπον / loco = a place (topographic...location...).  ὕδωρ (υδατος ) = aquam = water (hydro comes from the Greek).  (English y comes from the Greek upsilon (u), the capital of which is Y.)

εις τοπον χλοης εκει με κατεσκηνωσεν επι υδατος αναπαυσεως εξεθρεψεν με
in loco pascuæ ibi me collocavit. Super aquam refectionis educavit me, 

Into a green place (of pasture) he will place me, by refreshing/reposed water he will lead me (bring me up). 

Note the name Chloe is from Χλόη.  educavit - will lead - this is where education comes from.

υδατος is 'of water', so it seems to be ...(and a place of) restful water...

την ψυχην μου επεστρεψεν  (ψυχην becomes psyche)
animam meam convertit  (anima=>animal, a creature with a spirit/soul)

He converted my soul.

ωδηγησεν με επι τριβους δικαιοσυνης ενεκεν του ονοματος αυτου
Deduxit me super semitas justitiæ, propter nomen suum.
He led me on the path (worn way) of justice, according to / because of his name 

onamatapoea from ὄνομα - sounds like its name.  nomenclature...from the Latin...

Deduxit...deduction, one thing leads to another...

εαν γαρ και πορευθω εν μεσω σκιας θανατου ου φοβηθησομαι κακα
Nam, etsi ambulavero in medio umbræ mortis, non timebo mala,
For though I should walk in the midst of the shadow of death, I will fear no evils,

(lots of roots of English words in here...  From the Latin, ambulatory, middle/medium, umbrella, mortuary, malware, malevolent...  Fromthe Greek, phobia, mesotheleoma, cocky...)

οτι συ μετ' εμου ει η ραβδος σου και η βακτηρια σου αυται με παρεκαλεσαν

quoniam tu mecum es. Virga tua, et baculus tuus, ipsa me consolata sunt.
for thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff, they have comforted me.

How about that word for staff - βακτηρια!  Bacteria!  They're rod shaped.  Baculus, in Latin.

ητοιμασας ενωπιον μου τραπεζαν εξ εναντιας των θλιβοντων με

Parasti in conspectu meo mensam, adversus eos qui tribulant me ;
Thou hast prepared a table before me against them that afflict me. (I'm using Douay-Rheims)

tribulant...tribulation...trouble

ελιπανας εν ελαιω την κεφαλην μου και το ποτηριον σου μεθυσκον ως κρατιστον
impinguasti in oleo caput meum ; et calix meus inebrians quam præclarus est !
Thou hast anointed my head with oil; and my chalice which inebriateth me, how goodly is it!

oleo = oil (= butter).  caput = head (captain, capo...)  Greek κεφαλην...cephalopod...

inebrians - innebriated - overflowing (with wine).

 και το ελεος σου καταδιωξεται με πασας τας ημερας της ζωης μου

Et misericordia tua subsequetur me omnibus diebus vitæ meæ ;
And thy mercy will follow me all the days of my life. 

Some familiar words in both the Greek and Latin, if not so easy to find English cognates...

και το κατοικειν με εν οικω κυριου εις μακροτητα ημερων

et ut inhabitem in domo Domini, in longitudinem dierum.
And [so] that I may dwell in the house of the Lord unto length of days.


longitude, domicile, dominate (from dominus - Lord)...

οἴκω is not just a good brand of yogurt - it means house (home style yogurt, I guess).



Comments

  1. Note the Greek in verse 5 is 'your cup': και το ποτηριον σου

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gaudete! Semper gaudete!

Luke 2:14 - is the Vulgate incorrect?

Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel.